African Heads of State and Government endorsed in 2019 the establishment of five Centres of Excellence (CoEs) in the five sub-regions namely: Eastern, Western, Central, Northern and Southern Africa.
Each of the five centres specialise in different interconnecting themes and reflect the diversity and knowledge capacity building needs of the continent. They will make a major contribution to Africa’s growth and development by playing a catalytic role in knowledge management and supporting programme delivery at national and regional levels.
Their core function are to focus on:
- Establishing a knowledge-driven link to Member States to better understand their national priorities and align these with strategies on Agenda 2063.
- Strengthening of effective delivery mechanisms for AUDA-NEPAD to implement AU continental programmes through projects on the ground.
- Creating knowledge nodes and platforms for research.
- Harnessing the partnership ecosystem to bring in expertise and best practices for implementation.
- Disseminating knowledge such as best practices and proof of concepts.